Teeth Whitening in Manhattan, NYC
Madison Dentistry specializes in teeth whitening and removal of stains and brightening tooth enamel with professional, in-office teeth whitening solutions.
Regular causes of tooth discoloration include coffee, wine, tea, tobacco, and even aging. These products can produce visible stains that detract from the beauty of a smile. Whether used alone or in conjunction with other cosmetic dentistry options, teeth whitening is a simple way to lighten the shade of the natural tooth, and improve the overall appearance of the smile. Teeth whitening treatments have become one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedure available today for our New York City patients. You no longer have to live with stained or discolored teeth. Setup your no-obligation teeth whitening consultation today.
To learn more about the process and benefits of teeth whitening and bleaching, contact our Manhattan, New York practice, also serving surrounding areas. Teeth whitening can be performed alone, or in combination with other cosmetic dentistry procedures for the ultimate smile makeover.
Ideal Candidates for Teeth Whitening
Universally valued by both men and women, various teeth whitening treatment are expected to deliver moderate to substantial results depending on what your teeth are regularly exposed to. Our NJ/NY patients who choose to whiten their teeth professionally may have been exposed to several of the common causes of discoloration such as:
- Coffee drinkers
- Tea drinkers
- Red Wine drinkers
- Aging individuals
Type of Stains
Extrinsic stains or “surface stains” are those that appear on the surface of the teeth as a result of exposure to dark-colored beverages, foods and tobacco, and routine wear and tear. Superficial extrinsic stains are minor and can be removed with brushing and prophylactic dental cleaning. Stubborn extrinsic stains can be removed with more involved efforts, like teeth bleaching. Persistent extrinsic stains can penetrate into the dentin and become ingrained if they are not dealt with early.
Intrinsic stains are those that form on the interior of teeth. Intrinsic stains result from trauma, aging, exposure to minerals (like tetracycline) during tooth formation and/or excessive ingestion of fluoride. In the past, it was thought that intrinsic stains were too resistant to be corrected by bleaching. Today, cosmetic dentistry experts believe that even deep-set intrinsic stains can be removed with supervised take-home teeth whitening that is maintained over a matter of months or even a year. If all else fails, there are alternative cosmetic solutions to treat intrinsic staining.
In-Office Teeth Whitening Process
Many of our patients ask about teeth whitening as it is one of the least expensive and quickest ways you can improve your smile. During a 1 to 1.5 hour teeth whitening treatment at our office, your teeth can become several shades lighter. The process is simple! First, we place a protective cover over the gums and lips to prevent irritation by contact with the bleaching gel. We then apply the gel to the teeth, covering them entirely. The gel must sit for 10 to 15 minutes. The gel is designed to remove stains and discoloration while leaving the surrounding tooth structure and gums unaffected. It is then washed off from your teeth to reveal a brighter smile. Our Manhattan, New York patients, find the teeth whitening process to be safe, affordable, practically painless, very quick, and optimal results. Leave our office looking and feeling incredible with a brighter smile to light a room!
Frequently asked questions about teeth whitening:
1. What is the best way to whiten my teeth? Although you have many options for whitening your teeth, dentists have access to the most powerful, professional-strength agents. We use both Zoom and Opalescence in our office and they have both been clinically proven to be safe while whitening teeth.
2. I see you offer both in-office and take home whitening. Which is better? The advantage of in-office treatment is that you get a brighter smile in just one visit while relaxing in our office. Our take home products can be done at your convenience and to your own particular level of comfort. You can continue to touch up your smile at home using our professional strength whitening products. Take home bleaching products are less costly than in-office procedures.
3. Is whitening safe? Yes. Our staff will protect your gums with a barrier and under supervision; hydrogen peroxide or carbamide is safe for both teeth and gums.
4. Are there any side effects other than a brighter smile? Although everyone responds differently to whitening, temporary sensitivity is sometimes a side effect. We suggest that you use sensitivity toothpaste like Sensodyne both before and after your treatment. The sensitivity is short-lived but your enhanced smile is not!
5. How long do the results last? The longevity often depends on your life-style. Through consumption of coffee, red wine and natural aging, your teeth will eventually discolor again.
6. How can I protect my incredible results? We can customize custom bleaching trays for at home use and provide you with high potency gel products for you to use at home at your discretion.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
The two most obvious benefits to teeth whitening are brighter, whiter teeth, and ultimately restored self confidence. This is the most common complaint for individuals as even with the most adamant oral hygiene regimes, stains seem inevitable.
Teeth whitening can transform your smile by dramatically brightening teeth in less than one hour, making it a process which can be conveniently scheduled during a lunch break. The Zoom® system that is used at our practice produces exceptional results. Our cosmetic dentists are able to control the concentration of the whitening gel so that he can make adjustments for patients who have sensitive teeth. With proper hygiene and care, teeth can remain a beautiful shade of white for a long time.
Maintaining Teeth Whitening Results
To extend the longevity of newly whitened teeth, dentists are likely to recommend:
- At-home follow-up or maintenance whitening – implemented immediately or performed as infrequently as once a year.
- Avoiding dark-colored foods and beverages for at least a week after whitening.
- Whenever possible, sipping dark-colored beverages with a straw.
- Practicing excellent oral hygiene – brushing and flossing after meals and at bedtime.
With easy periodic at-home maintenance, your teeth will stay white permanently, even while you continue to drink red wine, coffee, and tea. Good dental hygiene, home care, and regular professional cleanings will help ensure your results last as long as possible.
Post-Whitening Care Instructions
Sensitivity and soreness following teeth whitening treatments is very common and will gradually subside after a couple of days. To maintain your shade for as long as possible, avoid colorants (dark food and drinks, tobacco), use a whitening toothpaste, and schedule regular cleanings and check-ups. After your teeth whitening treatment, it is important in maximizing your longer lasting results for a brighter smile by following these tips below:
- Use an automated toothbrush.
- Use professional dental hygiene care to maintain oral health
- Seek dentist consultation advice to determine the need for teeth whitening touch-ups.
- Practice good oral hygiene including flossing and tongue cleaning.
If you are interested in a brighter smile with teeth whitening or bleaching in Manhattan, NY, please contact Madison Dentistry today for your no-obligation consultation.